Restaurants for Scientists in Vienna
Due to numerous requests from several friends and visitors from academia I have compiled a list of restaurants in Vienna that I can recommend for having a nice meal. As the ownerships of such places sometimes change frequently there is no guarantee that the places still offer the same quality and experience when I last visited them - although I try to update the list from time to time.
Here is the list:
Primarily Austrian Food
These places serve primarily typically Austrian dishes such as Viennaer Schnitzel, Tafelspitz, Austrian beer and the like.
Austrian Wine Taverns (Heurige)
Wine Taverns (Heurige in German) are a very traditional institution in Vienna. The food may be rich but is very tasty. Check for their opening hours as they may not be open all year round.
- http://www.zahel.at/index.php?id=115&L=1 : Zahel Heuriger, typical Austrian wine tavern, on the outskirts of the city but easy to reach by underground U4 to Hietzing and then tram line 60 at Maurer Hauptplatz 9, 1230 Vienna
- http://www.kierlinger.at/ : Another typical Austrian wine tavern, on the outskirts of the city but easy to reach by tram line D at Kahlenbergerstraße 20, 1190 Vienna
For the lovers of Italian food:
- http://www.pizzeria-giuliano.at/ : Italian restaurant; Address: Tendlergasse 3, 1090 Vienna
- http://www.pizzariva.at/ : Pizzeria Riva, trendy Italian place for great pizza at Tuerkenstrasse and Schlickgasse, 1090 Vienna
- http://www.barbaro.at/regina_margherita.php : Pizzeria Regina Margherita, not the cheapest pizza but recommended by native Italians at Wallnerstraße 4 / Palais Esterhazy, 1010 Vienna
- http://www.dacapo.co.at/ : Restaurant Da Capo, Italian restaurant also recommended by native Italians Schulerstraße 18, 1010 Vienna
- http://www.losteria.de/ : L'Osteria, very reasonably priced pizza, recommendation: order one pizza for two people due to the size ;-), at Brauenerstraße 11, 1010 Vienna
French Food & Pastries
In the last years French food places also became a little trendy in Vienna. Besides warm dishes they usually also serve nice French pastries.
- http://www.cafefrancais.at/ : French coffee house & restaurant at Waehringerstrasse 6-8, 1010 Vienna
- http://www.lebol.at/: French coffee house, charming atmosphere but usually very crowded, no reservations at Neuer Markt 14, 1010 Vienna
American Food & Steaks
For all meat lovers and those who are into low-carb diets:
Vegetarian seems to be another upcoming trend and the food in the following places is not just tasty but easily keeps up with traditional restaurants - Chez Nico even exceeds a lot of traditional restaurants in my view:
- http://www.yamm.at/en/about-us/ : Vegetarian restaurant at Universitätsring 10, 1010 Vienna (close to the main University building)
- http://www.chez-nico.at/de : Not in Vienna but in Innsbruck (!), but really great vegetarian restaurant at Maria Theresien Strasse 49, Landhauspassage 6020 Innsbruck
Coffee Houses, Pastries (Mehlspeisen) & Ice Cream Places
What would be Vienna without pastries, the Viennoiserie or 'Mehlspeisen'? This is a must for any visitor :-)
- http://www.heiner.co.at/index.php?id=wollzeile : Traditional coffee house, great cakes and warm deserts, try the Marzipankartoffel at Wollzeile 9, 1010 Vienna
- http://www.gastroweb.at/tichy-eis/: Most famous ice cream place in Vienna, try the 'Specialities' at Reumannplatz 13, 1100 Vienna
- http://www.gelato.at/: Great ice cream place in the inner city: at Franz-Josefs-Kai 17, 1010 Vienna
- http://www.cafeweimar.at/ : Nice coffee house not too far from the University campus at Währinger Straße 68, 1090 Vienna
- http://www.palaisevents.at/en/cafecentral.html : Traditional coffee house, newly renovated, usually very crowded at the crossing of Herrengasse/Strauchgasse - reserve a table in advance, 1010 Vienna